Check out these awesome people!
Donate 100 to SharpAmethyst and get featured here for an eternity!
Check out our sister groups!
Find your way around DA#4: Composition+PerspectiveA good composition can turn an 'average' artwork into something memorable. It's more than just 'how to make things look nice'. A well thought-out composition can guide the eye of the viewer, telling a story in just one single image. Even artwork that's technically perfect can be boring if no real though was put into the composition.
It's not always the case, but composition often goes hand in hand with perspective. Many artists struggle with this (both beginners and more advanced), but a basic knowledge of perspective can really take your work to the next level. It's an essential tool for drawing credible backgrounds and landscapes.
The basics for these two skills seem easy, but more advanced composition and perspective can be real brain-breakers. I've collected tutorials here to help you get started. Read, learn, practice, and be amazed by your own work!
Tutorials and quick tips to get you started
Find your way around DA #2: Animal StockDrawing animals can be a challenge, especially when you usually only draw humans. But that shouldn't keep you from trying! Luckily there is a large variety of animal stock available right here on DeviantArt. Here's another list to help you find just the right one for you ^^
- This list is by no means complete. There is a lot of animal stock on DA, of varying degrees of quality, so I've had to make some selections. The mentioned deviants have a large amount of stock specifically for that animal, the stock is of above-average quality, and/or stock of that type is difficult to find. I've focused on photographic references.
- Some deviants are mentioned more than once, if they have a substantial amount of stock of more than one kind of animal.
- That a deviant is mentioned is listed under an animal does not mean that they don't have other animal stock. Almost all do.
- Sadly not all of the mentioned deviants/groups are still active. However their galleries are still re
Find your way around DA #1: Pose ReferencesComing up with interesting, accurate poses for your characters can be difficult. Either they all end up looking the same, or the poses just don't look right. Drawing from a reference is a great way to practice this. Luckily, there are lots of amazing resources available to help you out, both here on DeviantArt and one the big bad WWW. I've listed the ones I know here, so you don't have to do the digging.
- I've picked resources that focus on poses, not on anatomy. This means that the drawn pose references listed here are not necessarily anatomically correct. Though the two are definitely related, to me they're not necessarily the same thing. Your anatomy might be great, but a good pose can really bring your image to life.
- This journal focuses on humans, not animals. Animal references will be listed in the next journal.
A little guide to the list
Real Life Poses: Stock photographs of real people in various poses, generally against a white backdrop.
Drawn pose stock:&
DWOAH: Darkrai vs Beelzemon
Deadliest warriors of all history
Darkrai vs Beelzemon
Height: 4 foot 11
Weapons: Claws, Wide moveset
Strengths: High Special attack, Above average Attack, High Speed, Immunity to Psychic attacks, His very presence harms sleeping beings.
Weaknesses: Average Defence/Special defence, Weak to Fighting/Bug/Fairy attacks.
Height: 6 foot 3 (2 foot as Impmon)
Weapon: Guns (Corona Blaster/Destroyer), Bare Hands (Fist of the Beast King)
Strengths: Mega level Digimon, Killed multiple Champion/Ultimate Digimon effortlessly on his original rampage, killed Leomon and absorbed his Data with minimal effort, held his own against Megadraimon, Killed Makuramon (a Mega level Digimon) effortlessly and absorbed his Data to become strong enough to defeat Megadraimon.
Weaknesses: Extremely hot headed and very rarely thinks before he acts, Despite his immense power he can be overwhelmed if his focus is lost, His Mega level form relies on how much ene